Falling Rock Seeks to Fill Some Very Big ShoesJanuary 3, 2016
As many members of the community already know, Eli Kovar, our outstanding Manager for the last 2 ½ years, is leaving the Falling Rock for new opportunities in Marquette. As a result, The Falling Rock Café & Bookstore located in Munising, Michigan (Upper Peninsula), is seeking a full-time Manager with experience to join our team and lead further expansion of this year-round business that emphasizes community and customer service.
The Manager will have the opportunity to oversee the entire business, in collaboration with the owners, and to bring new ideas and creativity to fulfilling our vision to be “good for the community and a place where community happens.” The Falling Rock Café & Bookstore is the #1 rated restaurant in the Munising area on TripAdvisor and Yelp.
In addition to our diverse food menu, large ice cream selection and full range of coffee and espresso drinks, the Falling Rock also has an inventory of 30,000+ new, used and rare books, sells the work of multiple UP and Michigan artisans, hosts live music and other events several times per week, and is frequently referred to as “Munising’s living room.”
The Falling Rock Café & Bookstore is seeking an individual who:
- Has experience in providing outstanding customer service
- Has formal training as indicated by a college degree (e.g., business, hospitality) or many years of increasingly responsible professional experience in related areas
- Has managed employees and provided leadership to high functioning teams
- Is knowledgeable, skilled and experienced in providing high quality food service
- Is able to be flexible and adapt to frequently changing conditions
- Is able to manage vendors, oversee inventory/ordering, and handle accounts/payroll
- Desires to provide leadership and mentoring while in a highly collaborative environment
The successful applicant will receive excellent compensation commensurate with experience and the opportunity to grow with the business over time. Vacation and personal time is limited during the busy season (June thru September), but very flexible throughout the rest of the year. This is a unique opportunity for an applicant who wishes to live and work in the UP or a couple who wishes to work in a community-focused business together. Munising, Michigan, is the gateway to the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and is a beautiful, family oriented environment.
Interested applicants should send a resume with a letter of interest detailing why your training, experience, and emphasis on customer service make you a good fit for this opportunity. Please also send contact information for three references and direct questions or send application materials to Nancy Dwyer. The review of applications will begin on January 18, 2016, and will continue until the position is filled.